It's hard to tell the difference between a true food allergy and food intolerance .In many cases , it really doesn't matter much . But in very rare cases , Food allergies can spin out of control and lead to a condition called ' anaphylaxis '.
At first , anaphylaxis is like other allergic reactions . But it doesn't stop with sneezing or hives or an upset stomach . When allergen causes your body to release massive amount of histamines and other chemicals , your blood vessels can open wide and cause a sharp drop in blood pressure . And then the reaction can effect many parts of your body , including your lungs and heart .
Without prompt treatment , anaphylaxis can damage major organs in your body . It can even be fatal .
No one can tell who is going to have one . You are at higher risk if you have severe allergies , but it can happen to anyone .
Many allergies can trigger anaphylaxis , including bee and wasp stings and drugs like penicillin , seizure medications , and muscle relaxants . Food allergies , however , may be the most common cause .
In highly sensitive people , tiny amounts of food allergens can result in anaphylaxis .
So the point here is not to get you scared ,but it's to alert you to the problem . If you feel the symptoms of anaphylaxis after eating , get to a doctor or emergency room immediately .
Here are the typical symptoms of anaphylaxis :
* Swelling in the lips , tongue , throat, hands, or feet, usually accompanied by itching .
* Tingling sensations in the mouth and on the face .
* Difficulty breathing , shortness of breath, coughing , wheezing , and/or hoarseness .
* Nasal congestion, usually with sneezing and itching .
* Chest pain and tightness .
* Change in voice and difficulty swallowing .
* Warm sensation or flushing , redness of the skin , sometimes with hives ,swelling and severe
itching ( in the case of bee stings , these can occur in areas far from the site of the actual sting )
* Dizziness and lightheadedness ,and even possible loss of consciousness, due to a drop in
blood pressure .
* Nausea , vomiting , diarrhea , or abdominal cramps
* Feeling of anxiety and sense of impending doom
If you notice any of these symptoms ,hurry up to contact your doctor or go to the emergency room .