Wikipedia in Russian has already entered the top 10 Wikipedia among other languages, enlisting more than 100 thousands words. So, the number of existing Wikipedia had grew to 11. But what is Wikipedia? Wikipedia is free multi-language encyclopedia, where everybody can create, edit or extend any article. One would not find this encyclopedia in urban library or buy it and store on a shelf at home, because it is not printed – it is situated in the international network, the Internet. It is young, it came to existence at the beginning of the millennium. Its birth date is January, 15th, 2001, when the project Wikipedia had been started. Since then the popularity of Wikipedia among users of World Wide Web constantly grows, and the encyclopedia itself develops and encompasses new material at fast rate. Russian segment of Wikipedia exists from 2002; in January 2006 it encountered 55 thousands of articles. In August 2006 the 100 thousands’ article was published. Besides Russian Wikipedia, there are Spanish, Italian, German, Netherlands, Polish, Portuguese, French, Swedish and Japanese Wikipedia. But the richest segment of Wikipedia remains English one, encompassing more than million articles.
On the front page of Russian Wikipedia you see information about contents of a sector and read about the project itself. There is rubric “Selected Articles”, where collaborators of Wikipedia outline the best articles in the project. Rubric “Do You Know That…” introduces interesting facts, as readers had chosen. On this page, you can know about the day, when you opened the page: what has happened this day during observed past. Here is also an invitation to take part in article writing, already presented in other sectors of Wikipedia, but not in Russian language. In the end of the page other related projects are enlisted:
• Wiki-Dictionary: having grammar, thesaurus, phraseological, etymological and multi-language dictionaries.
• Wiki-Learning Books: here learning books, manuals and other educational materials are written collectively.
• Wiki-Citation: collection of quotations and winged phrases.
• Wiki-Library: free online network library.
• Wiki-Species: new project, which is put-up as open and free catalogue of species.
• Wiki-News: free news, shared by Wikipedia users.
• Meta-Wiki: Wiki about Wikipedia’s projects.
Everybody can use the information, presented by Wikipedia, and if one wills: he/she might add her/his own article.