Ingredients : 3/4 kg - chicken cut into small pieces
2 - medium onions
1 cup - milk
2 tbsp - chopped fresh ginger root
2 tbsp - punjabi garam masala
6 tbsp - butter or cooking oil
1 tbsp - ground turmeric
2 to 3 - fresh green red peppers chopped into small pieces
1 cup - fresh plain yoghurt
1/4 cup - almonds, ground a few saffron strands, soaked in 2 tbsp - warm milk
1/4 cup - walnuts, grounded
1/2 tbsp - coriander
1/2 tbsp - mint leaves
salt to taste .
Method : 1.Put the onions and ginger in a blender or food processor and process into a smooth paste.
2. Heat the butter or oil in a deep vessel (alternatively pressure cooker) and gently brown the onion- ginger mixture, stirring often.
3. Add the chicken and yoghurt
4. Combine well and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes nearly dry and the chicken begins to change colour to brown.
5. Grind the almonds, walnuts until fine powder is prepared.
6. Mix with milk then add the mixture to chicken along with garam masala, turmeric, chilli peppers and salt.
7. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chicken is very tender and sauce is very thick (about 10-15 minutes).
8. Stir in the saffron/milk mixture and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
9. Finally garnish with coriander and mint leaves.