It is a unique book for people who wonder what is that one thing which is still holding them to reach to there desired destination, be it at any level we all need to know our best and worst.
This book helps one to perform his / her SWOT, I did that for Myself !
S-W-O-T is a one word which will describe a human characteristic, it recognizes the Strength, Weakness, Opportunities lying within & Threats of ones own behavior.
I strongly relate to the facts mentioned in the book about consciously NOT performing certain things which would get in my way to success. To list a few:
• Winning Too much (I am the boastful winner, at any cost, time, people)
• Adding Too much (I can always improve on what you have done)
• Making destructive comments (I can do this better than you, negative sarcasm that makes you feel smart and witty)
• Starting with “NO”, “But”, “However” (A negative attitude)
• Telling the world how smart we are (I know it all, I am right, you are wrong)
• Speaking while angry (My speech makes decision not my mind, using emotional volatility)
• Withholding Information (I better keep it to myself to earn those brownie points)
• Making Excuses (Reposition self to an extent that it looks as part of your behavior and hence seek an excuse from others)
• Not listening (technique to listen not hear, show disrespect to colleagues)
• Refusing to Express regret (Can not accept any responsibility for anything wrong)
• Exhibiting excessive “ME” ( I am the one)
• Punishing the messenger (Punishing the one who is bringing an unpleasant news to you, indeed trying to help)
This is an impressive and quite exhaustive list of criticism, infact this has inspired me so much to refer it daily before I start my day at work.
The truth is many of us are constantly bearing these traits which are restricting us to reach our destination.
These things are standing between our GOAL of life.
According to Marshall the best time to change is NOW, the 3rd section in the book is dedicated to Change for better process.
Marshall offers a bouquet of plan, 7 steps to do away with the bad behavior traits that one posses.
List you can use –
• Feedback – A word which many of us get jitters about, this can be the most positive word if taken in the right spirit, it need not be always criticizing the listener, but a genuine advise for his benefit. Never argue on a feedback, infact listen, pen it down, keep it aside, read the same only when you are calm and are in an acceptable state of mind.
• Apologizing – “Sorry”, “I deeply regret about that thing I said” these are not less than magical words, often we come across times when we might have intentionally / unintentionally said some thing wrong to our colleagues at work, just apologize… go ahead and swallow that bit of pride by going to the person and just apologize. It is likely both will feel better.
• Telling the world, or advertising – Once you have made up your mind about the change in the attitude that you will pursue, what is the next step… Its show time guys… publish it, advertise it… make every one around you know about it let them know that you are constantly working upon it and they will soon see a New Avatar of yours, this way they will look forward to work with you in your change process
• Listening – This is one thing which most of us feel that we are good at, however the art of listening is different than hearing. We must lend our ears and mind to the person we are listening to. Listen carefully and most importantly Do Not Interrupt.
• Thanking – Thank you is another magic word which we generally forget to use, a small thank you note does wonders in long run, it is mere a gesture to express feelings towards your colleague who might have helped you in some task or by advising you a right direction, never forget to say thank you , it works !
• Following through – Anything once started will always need continuous follow up to ensure that the practice is going on, it is a continuous process and can not be stopped once you achieve some benefits of changes, to ensure this, try and ask your colleagues about your behavior, whether they feel the changes in you.
• Practicing Feedforward – Just as feedback is for past action, feed forward is for futuristic action. This is like a toll gate, hold and check where you must now move with these changes. Look out or reach people whom you have past experience with for things that you must do to reach your goal in future.
A healthy organization is one that is open and honest to nip the problem in bud, than letting it grow further. Issues are grown if the root cause is not done at the right time.