There are so many characters in this novel, some people might find it hard to keep up with the story, therefore I made a character list, only the important characters are included. It's important to say that all this novel and the other characters are surrounding the lives of Mrs. Dalloway and Septimus Warren.
Language : Not too hard.
Main characters in the novel :
Mrs. Clarissa Dalloway
- wife of Mr. Richard Dalloway (age 50+). She likes to hold parties in her house, she likes flowers, she's said to be a snob, she is one of the group of old friends: Peter, Sally, Hugh, Richard, Bruton and she.
Septimus Warren Smith
- a man who had been in the army, and has serious suicidal thoughts, he's hallucinating (crazy), and talks to a dead man named Evans who was killed in the war. He makes his wife Rezia to write for him about the messages the dead gave him (especially Evans) talks about world peace, how humanity is cruel, how trees shouldn't be cutten and so on. He despises his toturers: Dr. Holmes and Bradshaw. Finally, when Dr. Holmes pays him a visit he throws himself out of the window.
Other characters :
- an old friend of Clarissa that was in love with her when they were young and she rejected him and married Richard.
- husband of Clarissa.
- an old friend of Clarissa who Peter didn't like, Sally didn't like him either, she claimed that he had kissed her in the smoking room to punish her for requesting women's right to vote (no one believed her).
- daughter of Clarissa and Richard Dalloway (17 years old).
Lucrezia Warren Smith
- an Italian woman, wife of Septimus.
Sir William Bradshaw
- is the second doctor Rezia took Septimus to, and he, unlike Dr. Holmes said that Septimus is very ill and therefore he should rest in bed for six months away from his wife in a country house.
- a young man that was a good friend of Septimus and was killed in the war.
- the doctor of Mrs Flimer that was sent to examine Septimus, and said nothing is really wrong with the man.
- wife of Hugh.
- some indian married woman that Peter is in love with.
- Spetimus' boss.
- was a good friend of Clarissa when they were young. She's now married to a rich guy and having 5 boys.
Lady Millicent Bruton
- invited Richard to lunch without Clarissa, she is 40 years old... She probably was one of the group of friends (Clarissa, Peter, Richard, and Hugh).
Miss Doris Kilman
- a poor woman (age 40) who Richard allowed her to teach history to his daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth and she share an odd friendship, since she loves Elizabeth very much - wants her for herself, and despises her mother, Clarissa.
- wasn't invited to Clarissa's party originally, but after a letter from a relative was allowed to come (over 50 years old).
Miss Helena Parry
- Clarissa's aunt who is now over 80 years old, and came to the party.