There are too many English Tutorial Centers nowadays in Philippines. Also, too many English as a Second Language Teachers that are employed but have low income. I've been also in this situation before, but now I am earning by my own and I can earn large sum of money. Here are some tips that I could give to my fellow ESL teachers.
If you don't have any experience yet in teaching online, apply for part time jobs in centers.
Why only part time? So that you could have your time to build your own career at home. Learn ways on teaching in your center and apply it to your own program. It is easy to be an ESL teacher, you must have good American accent, friendly to students and resourceful on your lessons. Second step is look for target market, this is the hardest part, but still there are many ways to win students.
1.Use search engine to check for foreign students who wants to study, contact them and have a class demo.
2. Place your tutorial offer in classifieds ads. In offering your service, refrain from posting ugly pictures because most of students look for presentable teachers.
3. Create a website or multiply site to promote.
4. Join in Asian's students forum and place your service.
5. If is possible to ask your center's student, you could ask them to refer their friends.
6. If you get one student, ask them to refer some friends and give them incentives such as discounts on their class fee.
7. Enjoy teaching and maintain your students to re-enroll monthly.
Before you could win students, you must already know your class fee. You shouldn't offer higher or similar fee to other centers, because students are already aware of fees. In receiving the payment, you can consider paypal, wire transfer, or debit cards.
In maintaining students, you should be very punctual and always ready to your lessons. Maintain your accent and be friendly. Lessons are variety in free talking, and using esl books. Add activities and games so students will not get bored. To be effective teacher you should be resourceful such as using the internet to find many topics and lessons. Lastly is join ESL seminars and learn your students culture.
Set in mind that being an ESL teacher doesn't limit your capability to grow. You could start hiring teachers once you get many students and be a boss.