Physical & Psychological health of an individual is like two sides of a coin . In fact they are complementary to each other. In other words we cannot treat them as different.Hence it is said that “Happiness is the root of sound health.” Great intellectuals of the world are unanimous in their statement that “One’s happiness is not proportionate to the material wealth possessed by him. It depends on the enquiry & understanding one develops in unraveling the true meaning of “I””. In today’s materialistic world and the race to acquire as much material wealth as one can , what constitutes happiness? What are the means to be ever happy? If we understand the traditions followed by our forefathers we will get some insight into this aspect. I would like to provide 10 rules to be followed by all those who are in pursuit of happiness:
1) In matters of social behaviour , introspect using your intellect to decide whether you are on the right track. If you receive positive signals , go ahead on the path without wavering.
2) Live in the present. It means your thoughts should be relevant to the present times. Because past is history & you have no control over the future. As we are living now & moment by moment accept what comes your way. Try to use what is given to you if it helps in your personal development.Don’t indulge in innumerable activities at the same time as they have the potential to damage you both physically as well as psychologically.
3) Try to maintain silence. Practice Meditation daily. Control your mind and limit the desires emanating from it.Use your intuition in deciding what is good and what is not.
4) Don’t wait for other’s approval before undertaking any activity. Use your own judgement to decide your future course of action. Don’t bother about other’s criticism in whatever you do. This amounts to restricting your freedom of action.
5) Remember that you are confronting yourself only when you are angry and do not agree with other’s opinion.
6) Don’t be judgemental of others. It will only make you irritated all the time causing a disturbance in your mind.
7) Instead of acting in fear, try to do everything with a spirit of love.
8) Don’t indulge in taking intoxicating substances. They may either be in the form of food or drink etc. This can result in emotional imbalance & also vitiate the cordial atmosphere at home.
9) Living a balanced life will help you in maintaining physical as well as pshychological well being.
10) Any excessive demonstration of love or hatred towards others is a reflection of a kind of an aberration within. Try to avoid such extreme behavioural pattern.Follow the above rules and make your lives happy now and forever.