"IMAN AND ISLAM" by N.Anwas
A booklet of “ Centre d’information sur l’islam” Montreal, Canada in 1990s
Bismillahi Rahmani Rahimi ( in the Name of Allah most Gracious, most Merciful)
After a deep thought, a person will finally come to the conclusion that there exist a devine creator, who commands and regulates the universe.
Iman (faith) according to the religion of Islam means to firmly believe in the guidance of Allah, the Creator, as revealed to His Prophet, Muhammad regarding visible and non-visible matters for the benefit of all mankind. Faith begins in the heart, then proven by utterance of the Shahada “I bear witness that there is no being worthy of worship save Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah” and later proven y action. Faith do not come with time, it’s a grace of Allah to whoever He desires. Those who have faith are called Mu’mins. They believe that no god worthy of worship except Allah and Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah This utterance is the first act of faith which would lead into a strong and secured way of life, accepting the will of Allah.
PRINCIPLES OF FAITH
1) To believe in Allah.
2) To believe in the Angels of Allah.
3) To believe in the Holy Scriptures.
4) To believe in the Prophets of Allah
5) To believe in the Day of Resurrection.
6) To believe that good and ill Fates are from Allah.
PRINCIPLES OF ISLAM
In Islam the basic acts of devotion are as follows:
1) to say the two Kalimah Shahada
2) to perform Five Prayers a day
3) to pay Zakat (alms)
4) to fast during the month of Ramadan in the Muslim Calendar
5) to perform pilgrimage to Mecca
Strict observation of these five Principles makes a person a true Muslim, and that benefits him and the community as a whole.
The fifth point is only compulsory to a Muslim who is physically fit and financially capable of performing it, i.e. having enough expenses to go and return from Mecca.
NOTA BENE ON PRINCIPLES OF FAITH
1° BELIEF IN ALLAH
To believe that Allah is One, omni perfect and has no defect whatsoever. Allah has no partner, no children, He is Unique.
2° BELIEF IN THE ANGELS OF ALLAH
They are superior beings who are ever obedient to Allah. Only Allah knows their exact number. However there are ten of them that Muslims must know:
1. Gabriel 2. Michael 3.Izrail 4.Rakib 5. Atid
6. Munkar 7. Nankir 8. Ridhwan 9. Israfil 10. Malik
3° BELIEF IN THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
To genuinely believe in all of the Holy Scriptures including papers revealed to Prophet Abraham and Prophet Moses that mentioned in the Holy Quran as “Suhuf Ibrahim wa Musa”
The Holy books recognized by Islam are as follows:
1. The Holy Zabur (Psalm) revealed to Prophet David
2. The Holy Taurat (Old Testament) revealed to Prophet Moses
3. The Holy Bible revealed to Prophet Jesus.
4. The Holy Quran revealed to Prophet Muhammad.
4° BELIEF IN THE HOLY PROPHETS
The firm belief that the Holy Prophets are the messengers of God to enlighten mankind. The prophets are free from deplorable deeds before or after being appointed as a Prophet. There are 25 Prophets that we should know:
1. Adam 2.Idriss 3.Noah 4.Hud 5.Salleh
6. Abraham 7.Ismael 8.Issaac 9.Jacob 10.Lut
11.Ayob 12.Shuib 13.Joseph 14.Moses 15. Aaron
16.Zulkifli 17.David 18.Solomon 19.Elias 20.Eliasa
21.Jonas 22.Zakaraya 23.John 24.Jesus 25.Muhammad
5° BELIEF IN THE DAY OF RESURRECTION
In that Day we will experience enjoyment or torment . There will be a Judgment from which we’ll go to Heaven or Hell.
6° BELIEF IN GOOD AND ILL FATES FROM ALLAH
To believe that Allah prearranged everything good or bad with reasons and purpose.