MOTHERBOARD - INTRODUCTION
The most important component in a PC system is the main board or motherboard. Some companies refer to the motherboard as a system board or planar. The terms motherboard, mainboard, system board, and planar are interchangeable. Several common form factors are used for PC motherboards. The form factor refers to the physical dimension and size of the board and dictates what types of case the board will fit into. Some are true standards (meaning that all boards with that form factor are interchangeable), whereas others are not standardize enough to allow for true interchangeability. Unfortunately, these nonstandard form factor preclude any easy up grade, which generally means they should be avoided.
MOTHER BOARD COMPONENTS
A modern motherboard has several components has several components built in, including various sockets, slots, connectors, chips, and so on. Most modern motherboards have at least the following major components on them Some motherboards also include integrated video, audio, networking, SCSI, Audio Modem Riser(AMR), Communications and Networking Riser(CNR) connectors, or other optional interface, depending on the individual board.
• Processor socket/slot .
• Chipset(north/south Bridge or memory and I/O controller hubs)
• Super I/O chip
• ROM BIOS (Flash Rom/firmware hub)
• SIMM/DIMM/RIMM (RAM memory)sockets
• ISA/PCI/AGP bus slots
• CPU voltage regulator
Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2
If you've got the POWER…the SPEED…the PERFORMANCE on your team, then you've got the WINNING EDGE.
With the Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2, supporting the Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor, your desktop PC will become the ultimate weapon. You will scream through the latest games, level after level.
Add the world's best gaming processor and the D975XBX2 to your game strategy - a combination so BAD that it's GOOD.
The Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 is Microsoft Windows Vista* Premium Ready. The Intel® 975X Express Chipset fully supports the visually stunning Windows Aero* user interface with amazing transition effects and realistic animations.
INTEL DESTKTOP BOARD D975XBX FEATURES
Form Factor ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters])
Processor • Support for Intel® Core™2 Quad processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
• Support for Intel® Core™2 Extreme processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
• Support for an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
• Support for an Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
• Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus)
• Support for an Intel® Pentium® D processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus
• Support for an Intel Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus)
Memory • Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
• Support for DDR2 800, DDR2 667, or DDR2 533 MHz DIMMs
• Support for up to 8 GB of system memory
• Support for ECC and non-ECC memory
Chipset Intel® 975X Express Chipset of the following configurations 8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two S/PDIF digital audio outputs (coaxial and optical) using the Sigmatel* 9274D audio codec
6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem with three analog audio outputs using the Sigmatel 9227 audio codec.
ATI* CrossFire* Multi-GPU Platform Support ATI CrossFire technology enables two ATI graphics cards to work together for ultimate 3D gaming performance and visual quality
I/O Control Legacy I/O controller for diskette drive, serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports
LAN Support Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82573E/82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Peripheral Interfaces • Eight USB 2.0 ports
• Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller)
• One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
• One diskette drive interface
• One serial port
• One parallel port
• PS/2* keyboard and mouse ports
Expansion Capabilities • Two PCI Conventional* bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to both PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors)
• One Primary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x16 or x8) bus add-in card connector
• One Secondary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x8) bus add-in card connector
• One PCI Express* x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector
Microsoft Vista* Premium Ready
With a PC built with Intel® Core™2 Duo or Intel® Core™2 Quad processors, and the Intel® Desktop Board, you can experience a more responsive and manageable environment of Microsoft Windows Vista* including a new visual sophistication of the Windows Aero* interface.
Processors • Intel® Core™2 Extreme processor
• Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
• Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition
• Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
• Intel® Pentium® D processor
• Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†
Chipsets Intel® 975X Express Chipset
Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) requires a computer system with an Intel® Processor supporting HT Technology and an HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS, and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use. See www.intel.com/products/ht/hyperthreading_more.htm for more information including details on which processors support HT Technology.