Abstract: The book Fundamentals of Relational Database Management System written by Sumathi provides a very valuable information resource to any DBA / organization. In today’s information age, computer software, hardware , communication devices, graphic display systems are very important components decision support system. An efficient data base management system (DBMS) and operating system provide efficient means to store , retrieve , and processes data for presenting as a well filtered , structured and formatted information to help speedy and efficient decision making..
The author has provided comprehensive coverage of fundamentals of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), Structured Query Language ( SQL), Data mining and Object Oriented RDBMS. This book is considered very useful for all those who need to a understand and develop Relational Data Models, The book is well organized into following chapters:
1) Overview of Database Management;
2) Entity- Relationship (E_R) Model;
3) Relational Model;
4) Structured Query Language (SQL);
6) Database Design;
7) Transaction Processing and Query Optimization;
8) Database Security and Recovery;
9) Physical Database Design;
10) Data Mining and Data Warehousing;
11) Objected-Oriented and Object Relational DBMS;
12) Distributed and Parallel Database Management Systems;
13) Recent Challenges in DBMS;
14) Projects in DBMS.
The important aspect of this book is that it provide exercises for developing RDBMS based projects . The chapters on data mining and data warehousing and parallel database management system are quite current with emerging trends in data base projects