Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) - Long known for its calming, sedating effects, it makes a beautiful hair rinse for blond hair as well as has calming anti-inflammatory effects for sensitive skin.
Chamomile Lip Balm
1/2 tsp. Macadamia Nut oil
1/2 tsp. Jojoba oil
1 tsp. lanolin
1/2 tsp. Cocoa butter
1/2 tsp. Beeswax
1/2 tsp. Chamomile flowers (dried)
1) In a double-boiler, melt 1/2 tsp. Macadamia Nut oil, 1/2 tsp. jojoba oil, 1/2 tsp. lanolin and 1/2 tsp. Cocoa butter until it is liquefied.
2) Add 1/2 tsp. of dried Chamomile flowers and stir gently for about 10 minutes.
3) Strain the mixture with a very fine sieve into a small Pyrex ramekin and clean the area of the double boiler where you had the mixture (Dry the area well).
4) Pour the new strained mixture back into the double boiler and reheat.
5) Add another 1/2 tsp. of lanolin and 1/2 tsp. of beeswax shavings.
6) Heat and stir until liquefied completely.
7) Remove from the heat and pour into a 1/2 oz. amber or cobalt container.
8) This is enough for personal use. To use on dry hands, or to give as gifts, you''ll want to double or triple this recipe.
This is a very soothing formula that has real "staying" power.
Banana (Musa sapentium L) - This fruit is rich in Potassium and have wonderful emollient properties when used as hair or skin treatments.
Banana Facial Masque
1 ripe ripe Banana
1 T Honey
1/2 teaspoon Jojoba oil
1 T Yogurt
1 egg white
1 T Kaolin (white) clay
1) In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg white, then blend in the Yogurt, Jojoba oil, Honey and then the Kaolin clay until it becomes a smooth creamy mixture.
2) In a separate bowl, mash up the banana until it is smooth, then blend into the first mixture.
3) The best way to use this masque is while sitting in the tub because it is a bit messy. Apply to the entire face, neck and shoulder area.
4) As it sits, keep applying more while you build the masque up as well as massage it in. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes and then remove with a warm washcloth.
5) Finish with a tonic or hydrosol on a cotton ball to remove any excess product from the skin, then moisturize as usual.
This is a wonderful softening and firming treatment in one.