The human body has a built-in physical response to various adverse conditions. These conditions are faced with pressure, challenge or danger and the body needs to react quickly. For this, the body release hormones like cortisol and adrenaline to help doing this. These hormones play major role for the "fight or flight" response and then involve the metabolic rate, heart-rate and the blood pressure. This all result in a heightened - or stressed – state, which prepares the body for optimum performance to deal with a stressful or depressed situation.
Very frequently, modern stresses do not call for fight or flight. However, the same stressing hormones are released as a response to the reaction and this natural procedure against the challenge or danger, instead of helping, can alter health and reduce the ability to stabilize mentally and physically.
Causes of stress
There are plenty of things (or the anticipation of them) can cause stress. Some of them are listed below–
1. The pressure from authorities to perform at work, school or in sports
2. The menaces of physical violence
3. The financial problems and shortage
4. Unwanted arguments
5. The family battles
6. The divorce or dispute in marital life
7. The bereavement
8. The jobless period
9. While moving house
10. Any abuse such as - alcohol or drug
Many times, there is no particular cause for developing stress, or it arises from a series of minor irritations and tensions.
If one feels that he or she is suffering from stress, one should try to identify the aspects of the life that are causing it. Many times, one may not be able to change or avoid them, but on other hand simple lifestyle changes may make all the difference. Just being merry and happy work most of the times.
There are many strategies those can help dealing with stress that can bring stress relief. Some of them are listed below –
1. One can delegate or share the responsibilities at work
2. One can avoid confrontation difficulties with colleagues
3. One should start learning to be more self-assertive
4. Performing regular exercise is beneficial getting relief from stress
5. One should stop alcohol and drugs
6. One should eat a healthy and balanced diet that is rich in fruit and vegetables
7. The best way to get stress relief is finding humor or absurdity in stressful conditions
8. One should never take the task that is more than you know or you can cope with
9. It is better to organize the time better for various tasks
10. One of the best way getting rid of stress is to talk to friends or family, and share the thoughts and fears
11. Listening to soft and lovable music works wonderfully
12. Latest research says that Yoga and meditation can bring miracle results in stressful condition.
Ayurveda deals stress as the condition in which, there will be involvement of ‘Pitta Dosha’ in general. There are certain drugs such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, Naagkesar etc that can be helpful relieving the stress.
Along with the medications, mental counseling with the patient is must. He or she is to be kept happy as much as possible and family support is much needed treating stressful and depression condition.