Dark circles or blackening of the skin around the eyes is the result of increasing hours of work, stressed routine, and lesser sleep. It had a worse effect on your appearance making you look like old, ill and fatigued.
The other factors responsible are:
- Genetically if you have it in the family, you are likely to get it.
- Less sleeping hours, if consistent over a long period of time, may result in dark circles.
- Malnutrition or lack of good nutrition, like, if your diet is lacking in antioxidants (colored fruits and vegetables) pigment-related problems may occur.
- Allergies which are chronic might cause dark circles, eg., allergies from pollens.
- Stretched hours of working in front of computers or watching television for hours, stress, fatigue, anxiety and depression.
- Increase the quantity of fresh fruits and leafy vegetables, especially the colored ones in your diet.
- Using a good sunscreen and a pair of sunglasses would help protect your from ultraviolet exposure.
- A good skin moisturizer.
- Treat the allergies timely. Vitamin C is good for the skin around your eyes. You can consult a dermatologist for prescribing argipeel for the treatment of dark circles. It eliminate toxins viz ammonia and regulates blood circulation.
- You can use 'fillers' under the eyes but it is expensive.
- Have a good sound sleep and avoid stretched hours of watching TV or using computers.
Dr Parul S Kolhe (MBBS and DDV & DNB, dermatology)