Obesity is excess weight as a result of excessive accumulation of body fat. Everyone needs some body fat to store energy as heat insulation, shock absorber and other functions. On average women have more body fat than men. Normal comparison between body fat weight is approximately 25-30% in women and 18-23% in men. Women with more body fat than 30% body fat and men with more than 25% are considered obese.
Someone who has a weight 20% higher than the midpoint of the range of normal weight is considered obese. Obesity is classified into 3 groups:
• Obesity mild: 20-40% overweight
• Obesity is: 41-100% overweight
• Obesity weight: excess weight> 100%.
Obesity is a scourge of affluent countries. In Indonesia, the government still had to face various problems that arise from its people are malnourished. Now mind off guard! Obesity was now beginning to threaten Indonesia. "Now we must face the double burden. Not only malnutrition, but also overnutrition, obesity," said Director General of Community Health MOH Budihardja Singgih in the national seminar welcomed Nutrition Day in MOH, Jakarta, Tuesday (10 / 2). Scientifically, obesity occurs from consuming more calories than needed by the body. Cause of the imbalance between calorie intake and burning is still unclear.
The occurrence of obesity involves several factors:
1. Genetic factors.
Obesity tends to run, thus might have a genetic cause. But family members not only share genes but also diet and lifestyle habits, which could push the occurrence of obesity.
2. Environmental factors.
Gene is an important factor in many cases of obesity, but one's environment also play a significant role.
3. Psychological factors.
What's in a person's mind can affect her eating habits. Many people reacted to his emotions by eating.
4. Health factors.
Some illnesses can cause obesity, including: - Hypothyroidism Cushing Syndrome Prader-Willi Syndrome
Certain drugs (eg steroids and some anti-depressants) can cause weight gain.
6. Growth factor.
Increasing the size or number of fat cells (or both) cause increasing amounts of fat stored in the body. Obese people, especially those who became obese in childhood, can have the fat cells Sampak 5 times more than people whose weight is normal. The number of fat cells can not be reduced, so weight loss can only be done by reducing the amount of fat in each cell.
7. Physical activity.
Lack of physical activity is probably one of the main causes of the increasing incidence of obesity in the middle of a prosperous society. People who are inactive need fewer calories. Someone who tend to consume foods rich in fat and not doing physical activity that is balanced, will be obese.
Are you at risk of becoming obese, which is currently overweight or healthy weight, you can take steps to prevent weight gain and unhealthy related health problems. Not surprisingly, the steps to avoid weight gain is the same as the steps to lose weight.
- Daily exercise, healthy diet, a long-term commitment to monitor what you eat and drink.
- Exercise regularly. One of the most important things you can do to prevent weight gain is by exercising regularly. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, you need to get 150-250 minutes of moderate-intensity activity per week to prevent weight gain. Intense enough physical activity including walking and swimming fast.
- Make a habit of healthy breakfast every day before starting your activity
- Eat healthy meals and snacks. Focus on low-calorie, nutrient dense foods such as fruits, vegetables and grains. Avoid saturated fats and limit sweets and alcohol. Remember that no one food offers all the nutrients you need. Choose a variety of foods throughout the day. You can still enjoy a small amount of high fat foods, high calorie occasionally. Be sure to choose foods that promote healthy weight and good health more often than you choose foods that are not healthy.
- Know and avoid the pitfalls that cause you to eat foods. Identify situations that trigger out-of-control eating. Try to keep a journal and write down what you eat, how much you eat, when you eat, how you feel and how your hunger. After a while, you'll see a pattern emerged. You can plan ahead and develop strategies to handle these types of situations and maintain control over your eating behavior.
- Monitor your weight regularly. People who weigh themselves at least once a week were more successful in maintaining weight loss. Monitoring your weight can tell you whether your business works can help you detect small weight before they become big problems.
- Be consistent. Hold plans healthy weight-for a week, on weekends, and in the midst of holiday vacations and increase your chances for long-term success.
If you really want to avoid weight gain, the best approach is to focus on active lifestyle that includes eating plan that is fun, but healthy and low calorie.