1.ATTITUDE. Understand that your memory is good. When you think that your memory is good it will respond to you accordingly. If you consider it bad, it will respond poorly. Further, there is no bad memory. Every memory is good. You were provided with an excellent memory when you were born. You have a splendid memory even now. Potentially its power is infinite. And the beauty of it is that you can even realize that potency. Stop thinking to yourself or talking to anybody that your memory is poor. Let this be the last time you ever did it. Think on the other hand that you have a good memory. Believe that you can make it better. It does not matter whether it is sharp or blunt at the moment. You can alter the situation. Any organ of your body respond to you the way you think about it. If, for instance you start thinking that one of your organs is not functioning well, in all probability it will start malfunctioning. Just like if you think you will be sick, you will be sick soon. If you think your memory is poor it starts functioning poorly. Hence start thinking that it is good and expect good results. Slowly things will change. No memory technique will help you if you have a negative mental attitude.
2. INTENSE Desire is the starting point of everything. Not a vague wish or a longing but a pulsating desire that can influence every cell of your body. Intensely desire for a good functioning memory.
3. RELAXATION Many of you may have experienced your memory going g blank while sitting for an exam. But as your start writing, things slowly come to your memory mainly because as you start writing you get relaxed, The initial tension dies down. Suppose you have quarreled with someone. If you sit and read something immediately afterwards nothing will be retained. Your mind is preoccupied with that tension. When you are n tension nothing can be remembered. Without memorizing in the first instance, you cannot recall later. Mental and physical relaxation is an essential requisite to develop memory.
If your mind is under intense emotions, you will not be able to us your memory. Music can relax your nerves. Soothing music can calm down your mind and body. If you study something with a background music, you will recall better. But it should be soothing music, not modern reggae, pop, rock an roll or any such type. The instrumental music of Kenygi is very good. The best perhaps is the music of nature. If you wake up at say, 5 O’ clock you can listen to the songs of birds, wind and nature as a whole.
4. INTEREST Normally one remembers what one is interested in. Everything cannot be memorized with equal ease. Someone of you can retain math, others vocabulary, still others mechanical works. If you want to remember something well, have an interest in it or take interest consciously. If you are given a book on French you may not take the pains to study it. But if you are told that there is a trip to France an that you are selected in it, you will devour the book fast.
5. CONCENTRATE Memorizing is closely related to one’s concentration. You have to bring back your wandering mind to the thing you are doing. To develop concentration, you require a target while doing anything. Without it, work becomes more lethargic and monotonous.
6. SPECIFIC GOAL. People who have a specific goal are found to develop a better memory in their area of choice than those who do not have any goal at all.
7. SHUT THE DOOR TO THE PAST Many of us are haunted by the past failures and mistakes We cry over what we could not do and what we did wrongly. This is very disturbing and it will take away your concentration without which you cannot memorize or recall. We have to shut the door to the past once for all. Forget the past and all its guilt feelings.
8. POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE A negative minded person will have more distractions than a positive minded one. Those who hold a grudge against anyone, those who hurt others or find fault or spread false rumors are all more prone to have a poor memory than those who think, say and do good all the time.
9.ADEQUATE SLEEP AND A CERTAIN BIORHYTHM When there is a lot of accumulated sleep in your brain, you cannot concentrate nicely. 8 hours’ sleep is recommended for all (of any age).
It is good to have a certain time to sleep, study, work, play, watch TV and so on. If you try to study when it is time for sleep, you may not grasp much. When you follow your bio-clock you can concentrate better and thereby increase the power of your memory.