Professionals are skilled, reliable, and very responsible in carrying out his profession. People who do not have integrity are usually not professional. Professionalism at its core was the competence to perform the tasks and function well and properly (MenPAN, 2002: 25). The definition of professional is the ability, expertise or skills that a person in a particular field such ditekuninya within a certain time for a relatively long so that their work highly valued and recognized and accepted by society (MenPAN, 2002: 14).
(Development Management Magazine, 2000: 45) states that professionalism in the workplace is not just marked by the mastery of science and technology alone, but also very much determined by how to harness that science and technology and the goal is achieved by exploiting it. A professional person should be able to: (1) to give meaning and place of science and technology that can provide the maximum benefit for himself or the organization or company where he works and to improve the quality of community life, (2) reflects the attitude and identity with a seriousness to his profession tehadap studied, mastered, applied and was responsible for his profession; (3) intellectual properties as well as seeking and defending the truth, (4) prioritizing and mendahulu the above maximum service fee, but did not mean that the services provided without compensation .
Another opinion expressed by Pamungkas (1996: 206-207), that human beings are considered qualified human professionals who have the skills, expertise and ability to express it to the satisfaction of other people or communities with obtaining credit. Expression of the skills are evident in the behavior of the analyst and his decisions.
So the result is always satisfying professional work of others and have a high added value. Professionalism is always associated with the efficiency and success, and a source for increased production, growth, prosperity and welfare of the individual owners of both professional and community environment.
According Affandi (2002: 88-89), there are four characteristics that can be suspected as clues or indicators to see the level of professionalism of someone, namely:
1. Mastery of science one particular field, and the perseverance to follow the development of science-controlled;
2. Person's ability to apply the science of controlled, particularly useful for the interests of sesame,
3. Adherence in implementing and upholding of ethics of science and its ability to understand and respect the social values prevailing dilingkungannya;
4. The amount of sense of responsibility to God, nation and nation, community, family, and yourself for all the follow-up and behavior in the duties associated with the assignment and application of his knowledge.
While Poerwopoespito & Utomo (2000: 266), said that professionalism means the ideology that puts the profession as the main focal point in one's life. People who embrace ideology of professionalism has always shown a professional attitude in their work and in everyday life.
Maister (1998: 21-22), said that the characteristics of true professionalism is:
1. Pride in their work, and show personal commitment to quality.
2. Reaching responsibilities.
3. Anticipate, and not waiting for orders, they show initiative.
4. Doing what needs to be done to accomplish the task.
5. Involve themselves actively and not merely survive in the role set for them.
6. Always looking for ways to make things turns out to be easier for the people they serve.
7. Want to learn as much as possible about the business people they serve.
8. Actually listen to the needs of those who serve.
9. Learning to understand and think like the people they serve so they can represent them as people that there is no place.
10. Is a team player.
11. Unreliable in holding a secret.
12. Honest, trustworthy and loyal.
13. Open to constructive criticism on how to improve themselves.
The professional size for Civil Servants who provide services to the community, according Affandi (2002: 89) can be viewed on the services provided. If the services provided in general can give satisfaction to the people who served, so do not hesitate to declare that the services have been provided as a professional. Conversely, if the people in general are still complaining about the service provided means necessary to improve the professionalism. Therefore, it would be fair if most of society is entitled to give an evaluation. Similar has been said by Maister (1998: 24) that the professional is not a label you give to yourself, this is a description that you expect will be provided by others to you.